Saturday 26 February 2011

Shutter Speed: The Moon

Playing with shutter speed and lead in all sorts of top tricks and unique effects.
This is one I have tried out myself and found more difficult that orignally thought.
After reading upon shutter speed I thought about trying to capture the moon and stars moving across the sky on a clear night.
I set up my DSLR upon my tripod to stop my hand from shaking and causing a blurred image.
I opened up the aperture to f8 as I thought this would be large enough to let suffient light into the lens; then I experimented with a setting called blub. This setting opens the camera's shutter speed with no limit. Thus, once clicked, the camera can be left for much longer periods of time: causing a longer exposure. photo one was left for 19 minutes and this is the effect the setting blub had when playing around with the trees and the moon, almost looks like day time:





However, in photo two the camera was left for 46 muinutes and the exposure was much brighter, slightly over exposing the moon behind the trees. The effect it has created in the photograph shows the moon almost as bright as the sun gleeming through the trees. To develop upon this, I would still experiment with the length of time when leaving the camera out, as there may be a balance between 19 and 46 minute periods in which the camera was left; the exposure could be lighter, however it may not reach the limit of being overexposed.


No comments:

Post a Comment